Hood River may be the most scenically blessed and recreationally diverse town in Oregon, if not in the United States. No wonder so many people who come here to visit, end up staying. Located at the crossroads of the spectacular Columbia River Gorge and the magnificent Cascade Range, Hood River County is a scenic wonderland of natural beauty in every season. Here you’ll discover a world of year-round outdoor recreation, dramatic vistas, historic landmarks, fantastic food, wine and beer—and best of all, warm, friendly people.
Hood River welcomes sports enthusiasts in all seasons. In addition to being the windsurfing capital of the world, we offer kiteboarding and stand-up paddle-boarding, mountain and road biking, hiking, whitewater kayaking and rafting, fishing, and world-class skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. With two ports and two boat basins, the area also serves both commercial as well as recreational boating.
The fertile Hood River Valley has been famous for its orchards for more than a century. From blossom time to the turning of the leaves, the more 14,000 acres of commercial pear, apple, cherry, and peach orchards provide miles of scenic beauty. Fruit grown here is of such exceptional quality that the county leads the world in Anjou pear production, and 50% of the nation’s winter pear crop comes from Hood River. The local “Fruit Loop” is a favorite with visitors and locals alike.
Livability and quality of life are priorities in Hood River County. Our mild climate and clean mountain air, our year-round recreational activities for the whole family, and our fresh local culinary delights and award-winning wineries make it a popular destination for visitors from around the world. Festivals, art and cultural happenings, plays and music, and sporting events occur throughout the year. We invite you to visit this place of stunning beauty and discover your next adventure here.
Ten “Must-Do” Activities In Hood River Valley
- Drive the Fruit Loop – This 35-mile scenic drive through the valley’s orchards, forests, farmlands, and friendly communities is one of the area’s top attractions. Fruits, wine, lavender, alpacas, and family activities create wonderful memories throughout the year.
- Enjoy the Outdoors – As the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon, Hood River attracts both professional and amateur outdoor sports enthusiasts from around the world. Try hiking, backpacking, bike riding, windsurfing, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, stand-up paddleboarding, white-water rafting…You get the idea!
- Shop in Hood River – Indulge in beautifully made clothing (like alpaca wood), art, crafts, books, and more at a variety of amazing locally owned shops.
- Go Wine Tasting – The Columbia River Gorge growing region is one of America’s most unique wine areas, due to special climate and soil conditions. Take time to tour our wineries and vineyards, and relax at our many casual tasting rooms.
- Try the Local Cuisine – Hood River offers the best of the best in dining, with meals made by some of the most outstanding chefs in the Pacific Northwest. From simple home-style cooking to gourmet offerings, you’ll find delicious fare made with ingredients grown right here in Hood River County.
- Get out on the Water – Hood River is known as the windsurfing capital of the world – with kiteboarding, kayaking, rafting, swimming, yachting, stand-up paddleboarding, and fishing all running close in popularity.
- Tour the Waterfalls – The geology of the Columbia River Gorge lends itself to some of the most spectacular waterfalls anywhere. Starting with the towering 620-foot Multnomah Falls, visitors can see waterfalls all along the Old Highway and at other locations throughout the County.
- Get Some Culture – Art and culture are the central part of the good life in Hood River County. From theater productions and poetry readings to rides on the historic scenic railroad, from art museums and galleries to a history museum and even a one-of-a-kind antique air and auto museum, there’s something for everyone.
- Sample our Local Beers – Beer is serious business in Hood River County. Be sure to explore the world of craft beer and fine brew pubs here. And don’t forget the annual Hood River Hop’s Festival, held the last Saturday of September in downtown Hood River.
- Take in the Spectacular Scenery – The ever-changing scenery of the Columbia River Gorge is breathtaking. Take time to watch the spectacular sunrises and sunsets, and catch the changing landscape and our double mountain view of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams.
Mt. Hood Railroad
Enjoy the splendors of the scenic Columbia Gorge while climbing through the spectacular Hood River Valley. Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams supply the dramatic backdrop. In the springtime, fruit blossoms bathe the valley in soft colors. Summer brings lushness to the foliage, a blush to the fruit, a deeper blue to the sky. Autumn sets the orchards and mountains ablaze in fiery yellows, oranges, and reds.
The fun begins the moment you step aboard this century-old railroad. Dating from the early 1900s, the Excursion Train is comprised of enclosed Pullman coaches, a concession car offering light food and beverage, a red caboose and an open air car. The Excursion Trains are be steam-powered with a Vintage Steam Engine!
There are 2 AND 4 hour Excursion Tours. Sit back, enjoy the great views and visit with friends and family as you travel along the river, through forests, meadows and numerous fruit orchards. A live narration along the way covers local history and key points of interest. During the layover, have a picnic in the park, sample local cafés, browse the shops and take in stunning views of Mt. Hood. Be sure to bring a camera.
All trains depart from and return to the Mount Hood Railroad depot in Hood River, Oregon. Reservations are recommended on all scenic excursions trains; however, walk-in’s are welcomed and seated on availability. The Excursion Train offers light concessions onboard and cars are heated and the Dome cars also have air conditioning. The Dinner and Brunch Trains are comprised of air-conditioned and heated cars. All trains are equipped with restroom facilities.
Advance reservations are required in order to confirm train reservation.
For more information on the dates and pricing click on the link.